Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Getting to know MS & my immune system better...


We had the most amazing opportunity to attend another MS event put on by MS Lifelines tonight at the Cheesecake Factory in Downtown SLC.  They flew in Dr. Daniel S. Bandari who has been recognized as one of the top neurologists in the nation specializing in multiple sclerosis.  He is the Medical Director and Founder of the Multiple Sclerosis Center of California & Research Group located in Newport Beach, California.  He is also a Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurology and Neuro-immunology.  (You can read more about him here if you are interested:  MS Center of California.)

What a fantastic opportunity to be more deeply educated on the immune system and it's impact on MS.  We learned about what MS is and how the immune system protects our bodies and plays a distinct role in the development of MS.  We learned about different treatments and how they modify the immune system to limit the progression of disability in patients with relapsing MS.  We also learned about things we can embrace to live our best life possible while battling MS and some of the things to avoid.  It was incredibly enlightening.

No two cases of MS are alike, but there are some general things that Dr. Bandari has found help the majority of people with relapsing MS.  Mike took good notes:
  • Diet:  Low fat, low carb, low sodium, high protein.
  • Vitamins:  Take a multivitamin, vitamin D3, B-complex, and your omegas daily.
  • DON'T take any extra immune system building vitamins like vitamin C.  These are bad for MS.  
  • Exercise:  He said if you do everything else and don't exercise you may as well have done nothing.
I was deeply encouraged by Dr. Bandari's advice.  We have been trying to eat low fat, low carb, and high protein during the week since the beginning of the year.  I drink a protein shake for breakfast, have fruits and veggies for a snack, a healthy choice meal for lunch, another protein shake on the way home and then a sensible dinner.  I have told Mike over and over that I feel wonderful when we eat that way and I get through a pretty strenuous work week with few issues.  The interesting thing is that we allow ourselves "treats" over the weekend, and I never feel quite so great on the weekends!  Granted, some of that is because I'm exhausted from the week, but I do think what I eat has a direct bearing on my feeling of well-being.

I already take a multivitamin with D3 & B-complex as well as flax seed daily and know that the days I accidentally miss those I have a lot less energy.  I didn't know that I should stay away from taking extra immune system building vitamins outside of my multivitamin so I will definitely keep that in mind going forward.

Exercise has become a habitual part of my day since the beginning of the year, (riding my recumbent bike), and I have genuinely started to love it.  I did 11 miles in just over 40 minutes the other day, which was a record for me, and I feel so much stronger!  I feel so good when I exercise, and it improves my mood substantially.  Listening to Dr. Bandari talk about all these things encouraged me to keep pressing forward.

One of the benefits of going to these programs is also to meet other people with MS.  I still struggle with being social at these events, so I always pick a table where there is no-one else sitting when we first get there.  Tonight we happened to pick the table that the MS Lifelines Ambassador, Dr. Bandari and one of the program organizers sat at.  

When the program was over and we were eating dinner, the MS Lifelines Ambassador, Ted K., started talking to Mike and I.  He has had MS for over 20 years and goes to events like these to tell his story and give encouragement to people living with relapsing MS.  He was such a sweet man and very personable.  He took a genuine interest in our story and our struggles.  He sat and talked to us for over 30 minutes and gave us some wonderful advice... the biggest piece being to put the shot under one of our arms for a few minutes before I get it.  He said bringing it to body temperature helped it not sting quite so much.  The shots have been pretty painful for me, so I was eager to try this.  I happened to have one scheduled for this evening, and lo and behold, after Mike warmed it up under his arm for a couple of minutes, I barely felt it!  We will try this again on Friday for SURE!

Ted was a hoot.  He spoke right before Dr. Bandari and told us that his best piece of medical advice, (as he is not a Dr.), was to never take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time. 😂😂😂 I was so grateful for this compassionate man who took the time to talk to us and empathize and share with us.  One of the blessings of MS has been the truly wonderful people I have had the opportunity to meet.  I only hope one day I can be such a blessing to others.

Dr. Bandari gave us a few websites that he recommended we get our information from.  He reminded us that there is lots of bad information out there on the web, but these websites are reputable:

NMSShttp://www.nationalmssociety.org
MSAA (Multiple Sclerosis Association of America) – http://www.mymsaa.org
MSF (Multiple Sclerosis Foundation) – http://www.msfocus.org
CMSChttp://www.mscare.org

Thanks MS Lifelines for another amazing evening. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment