Thursday, August 2, 2018

Good Riddance July...

I was feeling a LOT better this past Saturday.  The pain was easing up substantially day by day through the week and I was being sure to take it easy and not over do it so I didn't cause anything to flare up.  I had been able to do a light grocery shop as well as take a short trip to Homegoods during the week and I was on cloud nine! 

By Saturday I was ready to have a bit of fun with the hubby.  We went to the movies in the afternoon with some good friends to see Mission Impossible, (thank you deluxe recliners with heated seats), AND enjoyed dinner at Wallaby's afterwards.  (They have some good BBQ!)  I came home and laid down to rest after our outing as I was excited to go to church the next day after missing last week.

Sunday morning I was still feeling pretty good.  I got up and showered and got dressed and was doing great until I tried to put on pantyhose.  I immediately felt a sharp twinge on the left side of my back and it stopped me short.  I laid down for a few minutes, waiting for it to subside, and as soon as it had passed I moved over to the chair Mike had put in front of my mirror and started to dry my hair.  All of a sudden I felt the most horrible pain radiate all the way across my lower back... I can honestly say I have never felt back pain like that ever.  I tried to stand up and couldn't... all I could do was arch my back and slide off the chair.  

Mike had just gotten in the shower, so I was stuck.  I tried to stand and the pain just increased.  I was close enough to the bed that with some effort and a few tears I eventually managed to get myself up on to it.  Poor Mike.  He came out of the shower and found me laying on the bed having a bit of a meltdown.  I was so angry and so frustrated.  He put the e-stim machine on my back and I laid there for 30 minutes.  There went sacrament meeting.  I was able to get up after the treatment was over and I slowly finished getting ready.  We managed to get there in time for Relief Society so at least we didn't miss the whole block, but I was sad we missed the other meetings.  

The good news is that has been the last major episode I have had since then!  I have now been four days almost 100% pain free and I've had no pain meds during that time.  I am walking pretty much normally.  I am careful getting in and out of the car, bending and lifting, but literally I feel like a new person.  July has been a very long month for me.  Between my back and the heat there were a lot of days I was focused simply on being able to function and get through.  I was beginning to wonder if this was going to be the new normal, however the last few days have given me a renewed hope that August is going to be much better.  This weekend I'll try a few minutes back on my bike.  My activity tolerance is low because I've been so sedentary that I run out of energy quickly, however, I can work on that.  Good riddance July and hello August.  I'm definitely glad for a new month and a new start!

No comments:

Post a Comment