Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Be Still My Soul...


I snapped this beautiful picture of the temple as I walked out this evening.  I wanted to remember tonight and the peace I felt as I left this amazing place.  Every other Wednesday I go to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple to play the organ in the chapel for the evening.  My shift is 2 1/4 hours long, which may not seem like a lot, but when you are sitting for that long balancing your torso on an organ bench as you play with both your hands and your feet, it can be wearing on your back for sure, even if you don't have any back issues.  I usually get to take two 5 minute breaks to run to the bathroom and stretch my legs every 45 minutes or so, but the last 45 minutes after the last break are usually my most difficult.  My lower back is usually pretty dang sore by that time and I always end up saying a silent prayer as I'm playing that He will help me get through that last little bit.

Some people may wonder why I do it.  I could ask for an earlier shift which are only an hour and half, but that would be a struggle for me to get to as I work until 3 or so every day.  I could just tell them I can't do it any more... I don't think anyone would fault me for that, but the truth is, that even though it can be a little difficult sometimes, it is one of my favorite things to do.  It is a service I get to give that not only do I love, but that honestly gives me just as much back.

There are a list of hymns that you get to choose from to play during that time that are approved for the temple.  I have put together my own folder of hymns from that list that I play through each time I go, and they are some of my favorite hymns... ones that give me strength and lift my heart. Sometimes as I read the words while I'm playing, I'm completely overwhelmed with the amount of love I feel from the Lord and my Savior.  I always say a prayer before I go in that the people there that night doing service at the Temple will feel the spirit, and that the spirit they feel will help heal their hearts from the troubles and afflictions they are going through, just as it heals mine.

One of my favorite hymns to play is "Be Still My Soul."  The words to that hymn give me so much peace, it is unbelievable.  I rarely get through playing it without tears.

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

I have learned the past year more than ever that one of the best ways to get through any trial or affliction is to look for ways to serve.  It doesn't matter how you choose to do it... it doesn't have to be some big, grandiose way and you can pick ways that you absolutely love!  All that matters is that you try, and you will feel peace no matter what situation you are in.  I was asked to serve at the temple just weeks before I started noticing any symptoms and I don't believe that this opportunity came by chance at a random time.  I believe it came exactly when I needed it, and I am soooooo grateful. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment