Friday, September 29, 2017

A Grocery Shopping Miracle...


One of the things I struggle with is grocery shopping when I need more than just a couple of items.  After a full 8-9 hours at the office, I am more often than not pretty beat.  I can have every intention of stopping at the grocery store on the way home, but then the thought of doing all the grocery shopping, unloading the groceries at the cash register, putting all the groceries back in the cart to take out to the car, loading up the trunk and then unloading everything and putting it away once I get home and then trying to cook dinner?  Well lets just say I have done it enough times to know how crappy it can feel and so I often pass up the store, go home and just make do with what we have in the house.  Except after a few weeks, the choices can start to look a little bleak.

So my nurse, Brandee, suggested to me that I try grocery pickup.  I guess Walmart does it as does Smiths Marketplace in my area, but Walmart is free and Smiths charges a fee, so I figured I would try the free one first. ;)  (As a note, at both places I was given the same prices as in the store, including any sales.) 

Let me just say that I am pretty fussy about picking out any fresh items, so I'm not sure I would do those items this way, but for all the staples, this was A.MAZ.ING.  I picked out all my groceries online, chose the hour window I would be there for, and paid for my order the night before.  (Used a first time $10 coupon too!)  Then I "checked in" on the app once I was on the way the next day so they had a heads up I was coming.  They did all the shopping, brought it to the car and loaded it in the trunk for me while I sat in a pickup parking spot for 10 minutes surfing my phone.  I signed that I had picked it up and was on my way.

Did I feel like a lazy bum?  Absolutely!  But the stores associates were so friendly and kind, and I was super happy with my order.  Everything was in very good shape and within plenty days of the expiration date when I got home, (which was a big fear of mine).  Not one item was missing, and because I had chosen the substitution option if they were out of something, I even got a couple of deals.  (They charge you the cheaper price if they substitute something for you and still give you the option to decline the substitution once you know what it is... That meant I got some name brands instead of Great Value brand items for a couple of things they were out of for the price of the Great Value brand.)

At the end of the day though, the main point of this story is that I had SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more energy having NOT had to do all the extra work myself.  What a blessing for any one with an illness, little kids, a sick family member... Good job Walmart!  And thank you, you totally made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment