Monday, March 26, 2018

MRI #3...


Today was my MRI.  I was in a terrible mood with the anticipation looming over me all day, but at least I can keep busy at work.  Shout out to the hubby for taking the time out of his work day to go with me.  I always offer to get someone else to drive me, (because I'm drugged up on Xanax), and he always declines and arranges to do it himself.  It is definitely a comfort to know he is there.

Truth:  I think the caregivers of people with MS have it just as bad if not worse than the people who actually have MS.  When we were at the MS Lifelines event last week one of the presenters asked us to raise our hands if we had MS, then proceeded to tell us that everyone in the room should raise their hand because if you care for someone with MS you "have it" too.  So grateful for my sweet hubby and his patience with me.

I made it through the MRI with no issues today.  If you are scared of MRI's like me, here is what I have learned makes it easier:

  1. Wear very comfortable clothing... nothing restrictive.  Think PJ's or sweats.  (You can't wear anything with metal or any metal accessories.)
  2. Ask your neurologist for two Xanax.  You can take one an hour before it's scheduled at your house and the other right before you walk back there at the hospital.  I love my neurologist for doing this for me.
  3. Don't look at the machine when you walk in.  Just ignore it.  It's not there.
  4. Ask for a cloth or something to cover your eyes.  Get that immediately, before they put in the IV, (if you are getting contrast), or place the piece around your neck.  The best thing about the cloth over your eyes is that even if you do open your eyes, all you see is bright light, so it gives you the sense that you are in a huge lighted space.  Just don't move and ruin the perception ;)
  5. If they offer you a blanket, take it.  There is plenty of air flow so it's not warm in there and the blanket just provides an extra sense of security.
  6. Make sure they give you a "panic button".  Just having that sucker in your hands makes you feel better.  Chances are you won't need it.  
  7. Close your eyes and let yourself drift away.  If you want to pass the time, try and think of what songs would play along to the beats in your head.
My 40 minutes actually flew by today.  I'm grateful to the staff at Lone Peak who are always so kind.  A smile, even from a stranger, goes a long way to relieve my stress.  

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you. I’m going to use your Xanax trick today. I have an MRI at 1:00, 1:45, and 2:45 today :/
    Stay strong! Kerri B

    ReplyDelete