Tuesday, July 4, 2017

A glimmer of hope...

Despite all the craziness that the steroids have been causing, today I woke up with partial feeling in my left hand.  I recognized immediately that it felt different because usually when I wake up it feels like I have been sleeping on it wrong, but it doesn't ever go back to "normal".  It didn't feel like that today. Thinking I might actually be dreaming, I pinched my hand pretty hard.  Yep, pain.  Woohoo!  I haven't felt any pain in that hand for what seems like forever.  I scratched over the top of it, yep, I could feel it.  I ran my hand over Mike's arm as he was laying sleeping next to me and just enjoyed feeling his skin for a moment.  After he had left for work, I finally went through to the piano and played.  While I could still feel some tingling, I could feel my hand working better than it has in months.  The runs were a little bit easier, still not completely where they were before, but part of that could be I have been practicing less than usual due to my frustrations.

That wasn't the only thing I noticed this morning... for some unknown reason, my eyes seemed much clearer than they have been. Miles, our little shih tzu puppy, climbed up on the bed next to me and as I looked at her, I noticed texture and color in her fur that I had never noticed before.  It struck me so strongly, that I looked around the bedroom to see what other things looked different.  I saw the faint shadow of the hands of the clock, I saw little specks of dust sitting on my mirror, and intricate detail in the new wedding ring Mike bought me last November.  I'm not embarrassed to say that I just sat and cried for a minute, grateful for the tender mercy of what seemed like vastly improved sight, if even just for the moment.

It made me think a bit of how much we take little things for granted.  Being able to touch, taste, hear, see and feel... what beautiful gifts.  They definitely mean so much more to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment