Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Buckeye Tradition Fail...


I didn't think I was going to get any of these done this year, but Saturday morning I decided to have an impromptu baking session.  I don't know why I felt like I needed to... I think that this simply has been a tradition for me for over ten years now and as tired as I am, I selfishly refuse to let MS win and strip me of these kinds of traditions if I can help it.  This, (and rocky road fudge), is what I normally make for our family and friends, and though they may not know it, it's a labor of time and love.

This year I didn't make as many as I usually do, and I split the rolling balls and dipping in to two days to try and ease up the work.  I had purchased a new candy dipping tool off of Amazon just for this occasion and I will say, that made the dipping part quite a bit less stressful than it's been in previous years.  The fork and the prong worked the best, (I wasn't impressed with the loop thing), but by the time I was done dipping the first tray I was pretty grumpy, pretty sore, and just wanted the experience to be over.  I had to sit down every five minutes because my back and legs were throbbing and honestly, they didn't look nearly as beautiful as they normally do either because I was rushing just trying to finish.  At the end of the day, this may be the last time I attempt these... at least in this quantity.  If the tradition survives to make it to next year, it may well be a family only tradition.

Mike Sr and Dee helped me box up 40 little packages of buckeyes and fudge and put the tags and snowflake ornaments on them, then we put them all in the refrigerator in the garage to deliver the next day because by the time we had finished all that, I was absolutely whacked.

So it ended up a three day fiasco to make and take these little treats to the neighbors... and I think they would have probably rather have had something I picked up from the store anyway, haha.  So I've told my family to remind me to read this depressing post next year if I even contemplate suggesting that we do this again.  I suppose sadly, in this case, MS won.

No comments:

Post a Comment