Sunday, April 29, 2018

Walk MS 2018...



Thanks to my adorable daughter, Dee, our family signed up for Walk MS: Salt Lake City this year, which happened to take place right in West Jordan at Veterans Memorial Park.  As our team captain she also recruited my hubby, Mike Jr, my mum and dad and Mike's mom, Lois to join us.  We all wore matching bright orange t-shirts, (that we made ourselves), with our team name, "Get off my nerves" plastered on the front. 

It was pretty moving to see how many groups of families and friends came out to support their loved ones.  Whereas at most walks or runs you wear a number on a bib, at this walk you wear a bib that says who you are walking for.  To say that it was emotional for me to watch my favorite peeps write my name on their bib and attach it to their shirts would be an understatement.  I felt very blessed.    

Walk MS isn't a long, exhausting walk.  You have to remember that families are walking with people in wheelchairs or with walkers, or with people like me whose legs often feel heavy like they're dragging tree trunks.  The entire walk was literally just a mile around the park, but it was honestly the most amazing mile I've ever walked.  To know that all these people were there just to support this cause that has recently become so important to our family was pretty overwhelming.

I am so grateful to all of the kind and generous people who donated to our team.  The money raised through this walk helps fund research and life-changing programs for people like me living with MS and it also helps provide a supportive community for us!  I honestly feel pretty lucky to be diagnosed with MS NOW rather than 10 years ago, because there are actually treatments available today where there weren't any before, and there is a real hope of finding a cure because of the wonderful people who support this kind of research.  This year the Salt Lake City walk alone has raised $109,376 so far and it's still climbing!  I just want to say, thank you. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment