Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Spasticity woes...


I’ve been on steroids for a few days now and I haven’t really felt any relief of my current symptoms, which is a little discouraging, but I do know steroids can take a little bit of time to work, so I’m not giving up quite yet.  The side affects of the medicine have been manageable... I've just tried extra hard to put a smile on my face and not speak without thinking carefully first.  In fact, I have literally been making a point to ask myself... "Is it kind?  Is it necessary?" before I open my mouth and say something. (I have deliberately left out the "is it true" part of the analysis because the way I have been feeling, that would just get me in trouble.)

Tonight I wasn't in the best mood to start with, (yes, I'm totally blaming the steroids), but then I had one of those experiences that always freak me out a bit... the kind of experience where something feels different to how it's ever felt before.  I am accustomed to getting some pretty painful muscle cramps, (like charlie horses in my feet or calves for example.)  Mike told me they call it "spasticity" and that there are a variety of things that can aggravate it from a change in temperature, to tight clothing, to just moving the wrong way.  It's also apparently one of the more common symptoms of MS.  Who knew?  


Usually I can just flex it out or if that doesn't work Mike just massages it out for me no problem.  However, tonight I was laying in bed when one of those suckers hit my right foot and absolutely nothing that I did could relieve it.  I couldn’t flex or twist the pain out, I couldn’t stand on it at all, Mike got out of bed and tried to massage and stretch it out, but nothing was working.  It felt like a knife stabbing through my foot getting worse and worse and the fact that I couldn't do anything to stop it was causing me to panic big time.

Luckily I have a very educated hubby when it comes to stuff like this. 😍 (What a blessing that he decided to go back to school to study Physical Therapy!)  He remained totally calm even with me crying like a baby, ran a hot bath and had me sit on the side of the tub with my feet soaking in the hot water. Within a couple of minutes, the cramping had stopped completely and I finally had relief.  


Shout out to Mike for his quick thinking and for keeping his cool in the most kind, gentle, loving way while I was pretty much flipping out!  Seriously my love, I don't know what I would do without you. 💜

No comments:

Post a Comment